Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Thoughts on Writing

Since I'm still reading The Mortal Instruments therefore I don't have any reviews to share with you, I decided to blog about something different today. Another passion of mine: Writing.

Sometimes my brain is so flooded with random stories that I think have some serious potential so I start writing them only to discover that I'm about 100 pages short of a full length novel and not really sure where to go from here.
 
That is how I feel right now about one of my WIPs so I've just left it be. I printed it off, hole-punched it and placed each page neatly in a black binder and let it sit there on my desk, just waiting for me to feel inspired to finish it.

Does this happen to any of you writers out there?

I really love these characters I've written so I don't want to forget them but I don't know how to tell their story either. It's a frustrating place to be.

Well, yesterday while chatting with Komal about my real-life love story (seriously folks, for those of you who think that "insta-love" doesn't really exist, let's chat. I'll tell you the story of how I met my  husband), the wheels started turning in my head and suddenly a new idea started brewing.

I started outlining chapters and brainstorming plot twists and imagining conversations.

Little by little these new characters started to emerge....

I remembered a blog by one of my favorites writers, Amanda Hocking, where she talked about how she had an idea for a series but it wasn't working. However, she liked certain parts of it so she used those parts in a different series. I don't know why that memory chose to resurface yesterday but it did and I was like DUH--I can do that too!

So that's what I'm doing. Taking bits from stories that I've written that I love and piecing them together into something new that I hope other people will enjoy reading.

It's in the works people. 

And in the meantime, In the Shadows (Lark #2) releases in two weeks--OCT 1st! 

Yes, I just shamelessly plugged my own book. I only feel slightly guilty about doing that. :)
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment