Thursday, July 25, 2013

Review: The Fault in our Stars by John Green

 
Author: John Green
Genre: YA, contemporary romance
Released: January 10th 2012


Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.


FIVE + STARS and a standing ovation
 I was nervous to pick up this book after my recent diagnosis with Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma. But I had my thyroid removed and was given the “all clear” and decided that I was ready to give this book a chance--especially since I haven’t met one person who has read it who didn’t love it.

I’m so glad I decided to read it because John Green is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Sure, I haven’t met any real-life teenagers who talk like Hazel and Augustus, but I want to. I really want to.  It sort of reminded me of the way they talked on Dawson’s Creek only better.  I really enjoyed their characters.  I didn’t find them overly pretentious like I’ve seen a few negative reviews point out (heck, I can’t even imagine how this book has any less-than-positive reviews period). I thought they were very endearing and quite frankly perfect for each other.   

I went in to this story knowing that there wasn’t going to be a happily ever after. How could there be with a terminally ill teenager as the narrator? I didn’t guess the ending though. I won’t say anything more than that, but that it did hit me hard because it was so unexpected.  I probably spent the last 40% of the novel trying not to cry (unsuccessfully).

This is the kind of book that leaves you awake thinking about it for hours after you’ve finished. 

It really is a wonderful, inspiring story about learning to make the most of today because you never know what tomorrow might bring.

Definitely a 5+ star read for me and quite possibly my new favorite next to The Sea of Tranquility.
Right now it's only $3.99 on Amazon. I'm not sure if this is a promotion price or if it's going to be priced like that from now on (I heard a rumor that traditional publishing companies were going to be lowering their ebook prices...) but since his other ebooks are $8+ , I'm guessing this is a limited time offer. If you haven't had a chance to read this book yet, I highly recommend it.
 
 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment