Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Review: Charity Moon by DeAnna Kinney


Charity Moon
Author: DeAnna Kinney
Genre: YA Paranormal, romance
Publisher: UR Published. Inc.
Released: April 12 2012
 
Summary from Goodreads:

Charity Bell is eighteen, beautiful, and has an unyielding chip on her shoulder. The loss of her father and betrayal of her stepfather have left her angry and confident that no man will ever win her trust, or possess her heart. She wears that declaration proudly--on her countenance, as well as her sharp tongue.

That's all tested when the enchanting Levi Drake transfers from her rival school across town. In a town divided by intense rivalry this should mean trouble, and yet the school is quickly won over by his alluring charm. When a strange encounter with the mysterious young man leaves Charity bewildered, she's convinced he's hiding something and sets out on a dangerous plot to discover his secret. What she uncovers, however, will leave her both grasping for reality and hanging onto the tattered shreds of what's left of her declaration. As she faces the demons of her past, and present, she must decide if she can live, or die, with his.

My thoughts:
Holy cow so much happened to Charity in this book that I kept asking myself when she was going to catch a break.  She starts off as a huge smart-alec who is tough as nails. She has an obsession with raspberry flavored lip balm and a habit of substituting random words for cuss words (though I am not sure why she considered “crap” a cuss word….if it is, I cuss all.the.time—whoops!). But after everything that happens to her (and believe me, it’s a bit overwhelming) she finds herself an emotional train wreck and I didn’t blame her for it one bit.

The love story between Levi and Charity was sweet though he wasn’t nearly alpha enough for my taste, but for those of you who prefer the sweet, poetry-writing guys who can still kick anybody's butt, Levi will be right up your alley.

The plot is interesting and constantly kept me on my toes and I stayed up late reading it because I wanted to know what happened next. I found myself laughing and wincing in equal measure.  Overall, it was a good read that kept me entertained from beginning to end.

Favorite quote:  “If he were really eye-candy he’d be Godiva chocolate truffle, drizzled in caramel with whipped cream, topped with a green M&M. Then multiply that times ten.”

CHARITY MOON does have a strong Christian theme intertwined with the obvious paranormal elements that I believe would especially appeal to Christian YA readers, though anyone who loves a good Shifter book would enjoy this easy and fast-paced read.

1 comment: