Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Review: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Author: Colleen Hoover
Published: Dec 19th 2012
Genre: YA, Contemporary Romance, Realistic Fiction

Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.



Oh my goodness! I can't even begin to express how much I absolutely LOVED this book. It is the first book in a while that I actually stayed up into the wee hours of the morning because I HAD to finish it. I HAD to know what happened next.

I am a little sleep-deprived today, I probably more closely resemble a zombie then myself this morning, but it was completely worth it. This is only the 3rd book I've read this year but I gotta tell you, it's going to be hard to top it.

This book left me completely speechless. I can't recall a book that made me feel so many extreme emotions. I felt Sky's attraction to Holder which was remarkably intense and real. I had butterflies more times then I can count and laughed out loud so much my face hurt.

But this novel evoked some pretty scary, sickening, make-me-want-to-throw-up, cry-my-eyes-out-and-punch-something (or someone)-as-hard-as-I-can feelings as well.

I loved that little hints are dropped throughout the entire book but that they aren't super obvious. Most of the "clues" seem like completely ordinary things that don't really scream out at you until the very end when all is revealed and then there is an "OMG! It all makes sense!" moment that will make your heart thunder painfully.

I want to tell everyone: You MUST READ THIS BOOK!
I very rarely feel so strongly about a book that I will recommend it to EVERYONE.

There are so many lines in this book that I love (oh there are so many wonderful, romantic, funny quotes, I think I highlighted practically every page) but since I can't very well share them all, I am going to share my favorite passage:

"You're attracted to me?"
"Oh, God," I groan. "That's the last thing you need for your ego."
"That's probably true," he laughs. "Better hurry up and insult me before my ego gets as big as yours."
"You need a hair cut," I blurt out. "Really bad. It gets in your eyes and you squint and you're constantly moving it out of the way like you're Justin Bieber and it's really distracting."
He fingers his hair with his hand and frowns, then falls back onto the bed. "Man. That really hurt. It seems like you've thought that one out for a while."
"Just since Monday," I admit.
"You met me on Monday. So technically, you've been thinking about how much you hate my hair since the moment we met?"
"Not every moment."
He's quiet for a minute, then grins again. "I can't believe you think I'm hot."
"Shut up"
"You probably faked passing out the other day, just so you could be carried in my hot, sweaty, manly arms."
"Shut up."
"I'll bed you fantasize about me at night, right here on this bed."
"Shut up, Holder."
"You probably even..."
I reach over and clamp my hand over his mouth. "You're way hotter when you aren't speaking."

Oh my goodness I was laughing so hard! I actually went back and re-read this passage at least 3 times!

 Holder is currently holding the #1 spot of my 2013 Book Boyfriends, and let me tell ya, the fictional guys will have a hard time measuring up this year.
So what are you waiting for? If you haven't picked up HOPELESS yet, go do so RIGHT NOW! Trust me, you won't regret it!

2 comments:

  1. SQUEE. I cannot wait to read this book! It really sounds so good, and I like that passage that you shared, Erica!

    ReplyDelete