Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Dashers' Favorites of 2012

2012 was a great year in books and over here at A Dash of YA we had a lot of trouble picking our favorites of the year. There have been so many wonderful books, beautiful covers, compelling stories, and relatable characters, but we finally managed to narrow it down to a special few that captured our imaginations.

Check out our favorites of 2012 below and let us know what you think and weigh in with your own favorites. We'd love to hear your favorites, too!

We can't wait to see what the literary world has in store for us in 2013!


Which book's release were you most looking forward to in 2012 and did it meet your expectations?


Erica: Reached by Ally Condie or Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan or perhaps Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout....oooh! I know! It was The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead and yes, I loved it! Team Adrian!
Michelle: Unwholly by Neal Shusterman - it was pretty good.
Komal: I was most looking forward to ONYX by Jennifer L. Armentrout. It was a good read, but I was expecting more because OBSIDIAN was so good.
Molli: Maybe DEITY by Jennifer L Armentrout (trying to choose one that wasn't a debut!) and yes it not only lived up to my expectations - it surpassed them.   

Favorite book cover of the year (Please provide picture)

Erica: Reached by Ally Condie. I like the simplicity and the symbolism

Michelle: Picking one was tough but I loved this cover by Joesphine Andelini!



Komal: There were a lot of great covers this year, but one in particular caught my eye in August: STITCH by Samantha Durante. The cover is freaking beautiful!


Molli: This was a year of gorgeous covers, but one in particular STILL makes me swoon: SWEET EVIL by Wendy Higgins.



Best Kiss

Erica: Beau and Ashton (The Vincent Boys)
Michelle: Beau and Ashton in The Vincent Boys
Komal: Beau and Ashton from THE VINCENT BOYS by Abbi Glines or Alex and Aiden from DEITY by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Molli: Mac and Jason from HEMLOCK by Kathleen Peacock!

Favorite Couple

Erica: Wendy and Loki from Amanda Hocking's Trylle trilogy (which I technically read in 2011 when it was self-pubbed, but it was re-published this year so I am counting it because it had added material and I read it again....3 times!)
Michelle: Kate and Henry from Goddess Test series by Aimee Carter
Komal: Jacqueline and Lucas from EASY by Tammara Webber
Molli: SO MANY.  Mal/Alina from SHADOW AND BONE.  I really connected emotionally with them.

Hottest Female Character

Erica: Katy from Jennifer Armentrout's Lux series
Michelle: Tris from Divergent/Insurgent
Komal: Alex from Jennifer L. Armentrout's COVENANT series
Molli: Gonna go with Erica - Katy is pretty kick-butt and awesome!

Hottest Male Character

Erica: Beau from The Vincent Boys , Adrian from The Golden Lily or Loki from the Trylle trilogy
Michelle: Four/Tobias (Sigh) or Kaiden Rowe (Sigh)
Komal: Lucas from EASY by Tammara Webber or Beau from THE VINCENT BOYS by Abbi Glines
Molli: Logan from DEFIANCE by C.J. Redwine.  He is just amazing. 

Best Debut Author of 2012

Erica: Gotta say Komal Lewis!
Michelle: Wendy Higgins
Komal: Samantha Durante! I loved how her debut novel STITCH spanned not one, not two, but three genres!

Best Debut Novel of 2012

Erica:  Impossible by Komal Lewis


Michelle: Throne of Glass - by Sarah J. Maas



Komal: STITCH by Samantha Durante


Molli: SEND ME A SIGN by Tiffany Schmidt!  I cried my way through it...such a heart-wrenching, genuine story.  



Best (Worst?) Villain of 2012

Erica: Is it weird that I can't think of a single one? 
Michelle: Valentine - City of Lost Souls
Komal: Can I say Seth from DEITY by Jennifer L. Armentrout? He was kind of villainous in the book.
Molli: WARNER.  Definitely Warner. I read DESTROY ME (and UNRAVEL ME) this year and he is...there are no words. Just...everyone get ready. These books will change how you see him. 

Most Surprising Find of 2012

Erica: Fall from Grace by Christine Zolendz. It was sorta similar to Lauren Kate's Fallen only way HOTTER


Michelle: Legend by Marie Lu or Article 5 by Kristen Simmons




Komal: EASY by Tammara Webber or THE VINCENT BOY by Abbi Glines (it kicked off my Contemporary obsession)



Molli: Gonna say THE DIVINERS by Libba Bray.  I expected to like it, but I fell IN LOVE. I literally screamed with happiness when Little, Brown sent me a finished copy.



Favorite Author

Erica: Abbi Glines
Michelle: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Komal: Tammara Webber and Abbi Glines...I can't pick just one!
Molli: So many possibilities...going by established authors, not debs...Jennifer L Armentrout!  Girl brings it with every book. 

Favorite Novel

Erica: Too many to choose from but one that I remember specifically saying there wasn't a single thing I would change about it was:

Michelle: Obsidian - JLA


Komal: It was so hard to pick just one, but I'm going to say EASY by Tammara Webber because I thought the book was perfect.


Molli: SO HARD because there were SO many good ones I read.  I'm going to go with the one that gave me ALL THE FEELINGS though.  SHADOW AND BONE by Leigh Bardugo.



Most Anticipated Release of 2013

Erica:The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead! Apparently it's jammed pack full of Adrian snark and a lot of romance!


Michelle: Goddess by Josephine Angelini


Komal: APOLLYON by Jennifer L. Armentrout. I'm DYING to find out what happens next!


Molli: SIEGE AND STORM by Leigh Bardugo.  (No final cover yet.)  I'm all antsy to see what Leigh has planned next for her characters.


We would love to hear what you have to say about our favorites, so don't forget to leave us a comment. :)



1 comment:

  1. What a great year of reading!!! The covers are all so pretty. And The Indigo Spell! I can't wait for it!

    ReplyDelete