Monday, May 27, 2013

Jennifer Phillips Russo's Message - Indie Author


If you follow my personal blog, you already know that Jennifer Phillips Russo came to my district this past month.  It was a great experience. But I wanted to share with you today is the story of her novel: The Dragon’s Birthmark.

She has three children and her son was struggling with identity and accepting his sisters, so Jennifer being a good mom, helped out. She began to write the her novel as a means to help her son. It did, but by then, the story had taken off. Her children encouraged her to publish and now the second one will come out this fall.  I thought this was a great story of how inspiration can be found when you are not looking for it and then once you have that inspiration how you can “run” with it.

Where do I find inspiration? I use the people in my life, sometimes my dogs. Sometimes an idea just pops in my head. Sometimes it’s a fantasy or daydream of my own (these ones tend to be easier to write, because I’m the main character (or what I would like myself to be) and the development is done. 

What about you? Where do you find inspiration?

Here is a blurb of Jennifer’s book:
Eleven year old boy, Giovani, feels smothered by three younger sisters and drowning in their Sea of Pink. Bored with ordinary life, his only escape is to journey into imaginary adventures, while longing for real companionship away from all things frilly. On his twelfth birthday, his eccentric Aunt bestowed upon him a mysterious gift that she thought he was finally old enough to handle; it changed his life forever. Immediately he was thrust into a curious world that has always been there in the shadows, protecting him, so that one day Giovani might help protect them. For over one thousand years, his bloodline has been part of an elite order that has fought against evil, and now, ready or not, it was his turn. His new reality full of adventures with dragons, elves, and magic await his arrival. Evil forces threaten his family’s existence and have already killed others. The Order needs his help. It is his birthright; his duty. How will he handle his newfound responsibility and quest? Will he rise to the challenge or sink back into the Ordinary?

What would be your message? 

No comments:

Post a Comment