Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Book Review: Sweet Thing by Renee Carlino



Author: Renee Carlino
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Released: March 17th 2013
 
 
   
A USA TODAY bestseller, Sweet Thing tells the story of Mia Kelly, a twenty-five-year-old walking Gap ad who thinks she has life figured out when her father’s sudden death uproots her from slow-paced Ann Arbor to New York City’s bustling East Village. There she discovers her father’s spirit for life and the legacy he left behind with the help of an old café, a few eccentric friends, and one charming musician.

Will Ryan is good-looking, poetic, spontaneous, and on the brink of fame when he meets Mia, his new landlord, muse, and personal heartbreaker.

A story of self-discovery and friendship, Sweet Thing shines light on the power of loving and letting go.


I got Sweet Thing when I was at Book Bash. Elizabeth and Autumn both said they loved it so I picked it up (and a fun Sweet Thing Swag guitar pick which I totally use...you know, to play the 2 whole songs I know)

See? It's even signed and everything:
I've been slowly making progress through the stack of books I got from Book Bash. I think I only have 2 more of my own to read but I should probably read the one I borrowed from Elizabeth so I can give it back to her next (sorry Liz! I sorta forgot!)

PS Can you tell I had the BEST time at Book Bash since it's over a month later and I'm STILL talk about it?! Can't wait until next year!

Okay, anyway, on to my review:

Sweet Thing started off much different than I expected. The prologue (and epilogue for that matter) are not told from the MC's POV at all but rather a complete outsider. Which seems kind of weird at first but once I actually read the whole book, I thought it was a really nice addition to the story. I can't think of another book that does the same thing so it was cool that it was so unique.

I read the first few chapters and while they were kinda cute, it wasn't an "oh my gosh I'm going to love this book" kind of feeling which was disappointing since Liz and Autumn both recommended it. I sat the book down and went about my business. I wrote a lot of my own stuff (finishing a rough draft of one book and made good progress on another). Then last night, after spending all day writing, I knew I needed a mental break (plus my eyes hurt from staring at my laptop screen for so long) so I decided to pick it back up and I didn't put it down until I finished it after 1am. (which probably wasn't good for my eyes but it was totally worth it)
I think the turning point for me was when Will moved in to Mia's apartment. He was just so stinkin' sweet and thoughtful that it was easy to fall in love with him. Which of course made me increasingly frustrated with Mia because she was being just so darn stubborn about it.

But the ending was soooooooooo worth it.
*sigh*

Seriously folks, this is one sweet read. It will make you laugh, cry, want to throw your book (or Kindle) one minute and want to hug it close to your chest in a giant Will-inspired bear hug the next.
 It was sooooo good! Check it out!

<3 Will Ryan <3

No comments:

Post a Comment