Sunday, February 17, 2013

Review: The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead


 Title: The Indigo Spell
Author: Richelle Mead
Publisher: Razorbill
Released: Feb 12th 2013
In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.


Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, the Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive—this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone’s out for blood
.
 
 
After I finished reading The Indigo Spell, I sat looking at my computer for a long time trying to figure out how to put the awesomeness into words. I finally gave up and just decided to start writing and hope that I am able to convey to you how much I love this series, especially the 3rd installment.

The Indigo Spell is jammed pack full of action, humor and swoon-worthy moments (courtesy of Mr. Adrian Ivashkov).  I’ve been a fan of Adrian’s since VA but he really shines in the Bloodlines series. He is brave, chivalrous, sweet, charming and sexy (Can we take a moment just to swoon over those Spirit Dream escapades?)

“I’ll just love you whether you want me to or not”

While I like Sydney in the VA series, I was hesitant to read Bloodlines because she seemed, well, a little boring but I loved Adrian and knew he was going to be one of the main characters so I picked it up and I was so glad I did! Sydney is the complete opposite of boring.  After reading the Bloodlines series, I actually find her endearing. I smile when she worries about silly things like unbuttoning the top two buttons of her blouse (how scandalous!) and when she packs flats because it’s “just smart planning for any occasion”.
As the series progresses, Sydney is changing--in a big way. She has turned into quite the little warrior, not like Rose, but she can definitely hold her own.  I love watching her character grow as she learns more about her world and finally embraces her feelings (that have been so completely obvious from the first book in my opinion!). Plus, she's pretty funny!


“His face was the picture of politeness and restraint, meaning something disastrous was probably about to happen.”

The banter between Sydney and Adrian has always been great. They make me smile. They have great chemistry and might just be my new favorite literary couple. At first glance they seem like an odd pair because they are so completely different from each other BUT they really understand each other. They have an amazing connection. I just love them!

“It’s a pirate skeleton, not the Mona Lisa. You’re not going to decrease it’s value.”

It’s been a couple of years since I’ve read the VA series, but I don’t remember them being nearly this romantic (or steamy for that matter).

 “Everything about her has to do with me.”

My one and only complaint about The Indigo Spell is the let-down I felt over the character of Marcus Finch. I was expecting something more after reading all of those hints about him on Facebook. Did you guys see those?

 

Anyway, I guess I was expecting a stronger character. I was even expecting (not happily or anything) Marcus to rival Adrian for Sydney’s affection, but he was just sorta of flat. Which is good, I’m glad because I want Adrian and Sydney together. I suppose The Indigo Spell could’ve just been a “teaser” about Marcus and he’ll be more important in later novels but for all the hype about him before the release, I was just surprised he wasn’t a bigger player in this installment.  

But the rest of the story and characters more than made up for this slight disappointment.

“Any life worth having is going to have risks.”
Seriously guys, if you haven't picked up this series yet, what are you waiting for? It's fabulous! All of the action of VA but with way more romance tossed up in the mix. Definitely one of my favorites!

Now the wait for The Fiery Heart begins....finally getting inside Adrian's head? Yes please!

2 comments:

  1. I won't lie - I miss dimitri but was pacified when I heard about the movie. Did you see who was cast as him? Thank you Jesus.

    But the book - I thought it was great. Adrian seemed a little not himself but, love makes you do the wacky.

    And the ending - good luck Sydney with juggling that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Oh my goodness! I have high hopes for the movie!

      Delete