Saturday, February 23, 2013

Review: Stitch by Samantha Durante

Stitch - Samantha Durante
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Released: August 1st, 2012

Her heart races, her muscles coil, and every impulse in Alessa's body screams at her to run... but yet she's powerless to move.

Still struggling to find her footing after the sudden death of her parents, the last thing college freshman Alessa has the strength to deal with is the inexplicable visceral pull drawing her to a handsome ghostly presence. In between grappling with exams and sorority soirees - and disturbing recurring dreams of being captive in a futuristic prison hell - Alessa is determined to unravel the mystery of the apparition who leaves her breathless. But the terrifying secret she uncovers will find her groping desperately through her nightmares for answers.

Because what Alessa hasn't figured out yet is that she's not really a student, the object of her obsession is no ghost, and her sneaking suspicions that something sinister is lurking behind the walls of her university's idyllic campus are only just scratching the surface...

The opening installment in a twist-laden trilogy, Stitch spans the genres of paranormal romance and dystopian sci-fi to explore the challenges of a society in transition, where morality, vision, and pragmatism collide leaving the average citizen to suffer the results.




** spoiler alert ** Warning: Spoiler-ville ahead! Seriously, DO NOT read this if you don't want the novel spoiled for you!

I went into STITCH knowing what to expect from the get-go. I’d read enough reviews of the book to know which direction Samantha was heading in with this story. Did it take anything away from the story? Absolutely not! I was still affected by all the twists and turns that Samantha threw at me.

STITCH is hard to box into one specific genre and I have come to the realization that it spans across THREE genres, not two. The book started out as a Paranormal Romance. I was completely captivated by the ghost story that was unfolding. The connection between Alessa and Isaac was undeniable. I looked forward to the brief moments where Isaac’s “ghost” appeared and Alessa was trying to figure out why she was so affected by him.

The book took a Science Fiction turn for me when the “wormholes” and “time travelling” plot came about. I was like, “Whaaat?” At first, my logical mind was resisting this plot twist, but on the other hand, I really wanted Alessa to stop the fire from happening and, in turn, prevent Isaac’s death. Just as soon as I was beginning to accept the Sci-Fi of it all, THAT happened.

By “THAT”, I mean we are suddenly told that, “No, STITCH is not really a Paranormal Romance or a Science Fiction novel about wormholes; STITCH is really a well-disguised Dystopian novel.” Um, WHOA! It sounds like a lot, right? You’re wondering how a debut, self-published author can pull something like that off, right? Trust me, the revelations aren’t overwhelming at all. Samantha Durante is one hell of a writer!

The writing was excellent and I found myself flying through this book (it totally broke my reading slump!). The characters and their relationships with each other were intriguing, and the glimpses into the Dystopian world and Paragon were really interesting. We didn’t get to see a whole lot on it, but I know there is a sequel and I’m sure many of our questions will be answered in SHUDDER.

All in all, STITCH was a fantastic debut by Samantha Durante. She has done an amazing job crossing genres and is a talented writer. I really can’t wait for SHUDDER’s release, so I’m off to bug Samantha to write faster!




No comments:

Post a Comment